The Bridges Community Car Scheme offers friendly, flexible, door-to-door transport for people who require additional support getting to local shops, social activities or appointments
We’re more than just a taxi service. Our friendly volunteer drivers are there to offer support and companionship to their passengers – just like getting a lift from a friend!
Our service offers you the chance to get out and about in the Monmouth area, for example:
Lifts to and from the shops
Lifts to and from medical appointments
Lifts to and from social activities
Lifts to visit friends and family
Our drivers may be able to accompany you whilst you do your shopping or wait whilst you attend an appointment. They are also provided with advice and training on how to assist passengers into and out of a car and how to appropriately support those passengers with mobility problems.
A comment from one of our regular passengers...
“I have used the services of the Car Scheme with great success and found them to be reliable, punctual and inexpensive”
How the Bridges Car Scheme works
- Our volunteer drivers offer their time freely and use their own cars to transport passengers
- We cover the driver’s running costs by charging a fixed rate fee per mile
- The cost of each journey is paid for by the passenger who will be advised of the details at the time of booking
- All our drivers are required to show us their motor insurance certificate, driving licence and MOT certificate so that we can ensure they are up-to-date
- All our drivers will be asked to undertake a DBS check (formerly known as a CRB check)
- Appropriate information and training is given to drivers to enhance their own safety as well as that of a passenger
- All our passengers are asked to complete a registration form so that we are aware of their individual needs and can best-match them with a driver. A Car Scheme Co-ordinator will visit a passenger at home to undertake this process.
Frequently asked questions
- Who is behind the Car Scheme?
The Bridges Community Car Scheme is a Bridges Centre initiative. Bridges is a respected, community-focussed charity based at Drybridge House in Monmouth. We work closely with Community Connections across Monmouthshire.
- Who manages the Car Scheme drivers?
The Car Scheme is managed by experienced co-ordinators who fully understand the needs of both drivers and passengers.
- Do you have to register with the Car Scheme?
We are aware that our passengers have individual needs. It is therefore important that all passengers are registered with us. This means that we can carefully match a passenger with a driver so that the journey is as enjoyable and friendly as possible.
- How far can a journey be?
Most of our requests are for journeys in and around main towns of Chepstow, Caldicot, Abergavenny and Monmouth, but we can also take passengers to hospital and other appointments outside the local area.
- How much does a journey cost?
We are a not-for-profit organisation but there is a charge for each journey to cover the drivers’ expenses. We charge 45p per mile and a booking fee (currently 50p).
- How much notice of a journey do you have to give?
We ask that a passenger gives us at least three days’ notice of a required journey.
We're always looking for friendly, enthusiastic Volunteer drivers
If you have a couple of hours to spare now and then and would like to help local people to get out and about, please contact Marianne on 01600 887568.
Need help with transport? Call us on:
07557 008743 for Monmouth area,
07741 572897 for Abergavenny area,
07741 572922 for Chepstow & Caldicot area.